This week was spaghetti carbonara because it’s simple, easy, and I already had leftover parm from cacio e pepe over the weekend. And Bon Appetit did a great video and we all know I get my food ideas from Youtube.
I am a firm believer in carbonara not having cream; the sauce is pork grease, egg, parmesean (or Pecorino if I can find it), and some pasta water. Sometimes I add English peas, but usually not. It’s almost always with bacon because guanciale is expensive and hard to find.
I’ve previously had success assembling in the pan off the heat, but making it in a bowl really is the way to go. I didn’t have any scrambled eggs, and the sauce has been so smooth and silky this week. I follow the Bon Appetit steps:
- Boil some salted water for the pasta
- Cook the finely chopped bacon down until starting to crisp
- Remove the bacon, set into a bowl
- After the bacon has cooled, add a beaten egg, wisking well
- Add some pepper
- Add the cooked pasta directly from the pot
- Mix thoroughly, adding bacon grease and pasta water to achieve the right consistency
- Add some freshly grated Parmesan, mixing well. Repeat step 7 until consistency is correct.
- Top with grated parmesean